Monday, October 29, 2012

What shall I practice, today?

Day 2: So far, so good! Eli's foot is ok, and I had most of the day off running Eli around and then errands. I felt like a free bird today, and it felt great. Watching the canopy of autumn leaves slowly dissolving and falling, I felt an unfamiliar feeling: contentment. How often do we feel content with our lives, our kids, our job, our spouse? How often do we feel discontent with the way we look, the status of our bank account, or what we get or don't get accomplished? "Santosha" is the sanskrit word for contentment. It actually means being content with whatever comes up in our lives, even sadness or loneliness. How can we practice contentment on the mat? Listen to your body, be aware of the inner dialogue you are having, be respectful of your limitations, and humble with your capabilities. How do we practice contentment in our lives? The Yoga Sutra book II verse 42 writes:"By contentment, supreme joy is gained". It explains: As a result of contentment, one gains supreme joy. Here, we should understand the difference between contentment and satisfaction. Contentment means just to be as we are without going to outside things for our happiness. If something comes, we let it come. If not, it doesn't matter. Contentment means neither to like nor dislike. Tonight, as I approach the setting sun, a harsh wind cries in the trees. My heart goes out to the people north east of us as they bear the forces of nature. My practice tonight will be a restorative one. I am feeling tired, and a little rundown. So, instead on doing a strong physical practice, I will prop up on some bolsters, lie in front of the fireplace, and breathe deeply into what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment