Saturday, August 21, 2010

I will respond


What is the difference between responding and reacting? About 5 seconds, maybe 10. When I think of it that way, I realize that if I can remember to slow down, take in what I hear, what I feel, what I see, what I do, then I can better choose my way of responding. How hard this is to do! I feel though, that this is the way to enlightenment, to peace, to compassion, to love. If we all took 5-10 seconds to respond in tense situations, we might not say things that are hurtful, do things that may harm. This is a challenge for me, as I can react to many things that my 3 boys and in general life give to me. What I reflect on, is that my reactions, to whatever the situation, are teaching those around me my about my character. And for my boys, I am teaching them how to behave, and my reactions will make an impression on them. Getting angry or reacting is human nature. I don't try to be super human, or unnatural. I would like my mouth speak of love, my mind to focus on the present moment, and my heart to look for the beauty that lies within each person, and each situation. This being said, breathe, exhale, inhale wisdom, exhale, truth. Then speak, listen, respond, and for a tense moment, take the higher road. Our hearts expand, and grow as we do this. Remember the grinch? His heart grew three times its size busting out of the wire molding in his response to give back to the "Who's in Whoville"! Thinking of it that way, may bring a smile to our faces, as we continue on the path of love, kindness, and wisdom in the face of adversity and a sometimes harsh world. Peace to you, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment