Sunday, January 16, 2011

Today, I will lift my heart



Walking along the icy, crunchy slush, I watch the dogs as they dance around me, waiting for their leash to be put on. I love the mornings, especially Sunday mornings, where the whole world seems to be nestled snug at home. I love the quiet. I reflect on my life, how, many years ago I was faced with the choice of either growing bitter with despair or rising above the harshness that I faced. I recall those days that I often went outside, even in the bitter cold to find my spirits voice. This connection to nature reminds us that the whole earth is always undergoing change, harsh and beautiful at the same time. Just as we face challenges that sometimes want us to bury our head in the sand, we always have a choice to turn our face to the sun as well. This doesn't mean that we shove our feelings of despair away, and force a smile. Rather, we make a choice to feel fully, and allow these feelings to manifest. Once we do this, we begin to see that our feelings, our challenges, are temporary, just as the falling snow and melting ice are temporary too. This also disintegrates the power our emotions can sometimes have over us. Just as a wind storm blows through and wreaks havoc, our emotions need not wreak havoc to our inner life. As we continue to blaze our trails in life, may we be reminded of how nature is constantly going through change, how we are always changing, and there is real beauty, and truth in that. I invite you next time you have a lot on your mind, or feel "full" of beans (putt putt) go look at a leaf trembling on a tree. Look at a bud on the edge of a branch, tightly wrapped up, just waiting to blossom in full glory! Look at a bird, singing brightly, loudly, announcing it's place in the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment