Saturday, February 27, 2010

Doug Keller


Sarah and I walk the streets of Winston, eager bodies and mats tucked under our arms. As we climb the steps to the sun filled, heart pine floor studio, I feel as if I have returned home. Home to a place deep in the spirit, the heart, the sun, the light in my life. Whether it be in a studio in Greensboro, across the country in San Fran, or in my sunroom, I love yoga. I have learned so much already, some of the information totally different from what I have learned (like not scooping the tailbone under when practicing back bends as most traditional yogi's teach), and much of it I seem to intuitively know. My heart lifts inside my chest as we chant "OM" and am immersed in the vibration of different voices in unison chanting harmoniously together. This afternoon after a 3 hour asana class of mostly standing poses and partner adjustments, we spent time in meditation and pranayama (mindful breathing). For 2 1/2 hours I am tossed around in my mind and heart, reaching toward that small space, the breath inside the breath, the space between thoughts, that illuminates our life, helps to give perspective on the path we are walking. Doug discusses Tantra, and that what Tantra teaches is to learn to make your life art. Take what comes to you, leave what leaves you. When happiness is present, enjoy it, feel it, and then know when hardships come, the ashes from whatever burns away, will provide rich insight to fertilize new growth. Face our fears, realize that we are put here in our bodies for a purpose. Whatever that purpose is , it is up to us to discover it, and grow from it constantly. Our life is meant to be constructive, not destructive. Deep stuff my friends. The good news is that so far my hip is doing quite well, and that having Matt home is so wonderful. He is happy to be with the kids, and I am happy to get away from the kids! Life is good, at this moment I am feeling the joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment