Sunday, March 28, 2010

Screaming in savasana


I was determined to do a "full" practice today. 26 poses to be exact. I instructed the kids that I needed them to be quiet and "not fight". Those were my only requirements. Eli sat and read the whole time in our egg swing, giving input into the levelness of my hips in some of the harder standing poses. Jonah and Sammy lasted about 30 minutes, with me having to intervene quite a bit. There is something disturbing about resting in savasana while you hear screaming and yelling coming from the bedrooms upstairs. Try as I might to remain cool, It was upsetting to me to hear them fighting, while trying to cultivate peace within my body and spirit. I had promised them a visit to the drug store to get Pokemon cards that they could buy with their allowance. Sadly, Jonah and Sammy did not get their allowance or get to buy any cards due to their behavior. This caused much angst and tearful crying in the car. But, I had warned them, given them several chances, and they did not live up to their end of the bargain. Being a parent, a good parent is tough. It requires patience, diligence, consistency, firmness, kindness, and most of all LOVE. Sometimes tough love. I think they learned their lesson. As for yoga, and its benefits to me, my body felt wonderful after my sequence. I did most of the standing poses, twists, forward bends, headstand and shoulderstand, and my savasana with kids screaming. My body felt balanced, my heart felt the pain of having to say "no" to my dear children with big drippy tears in their eyes, but knowing it was the correct thing to do. I will say not having the peace of a quiet savasana made a difference in the overall feeling I had after my practice. Quite often, there is a blissful, satisfied feeling, that ruminates for a few hours, casting a glow on the world, and my heart. At least my body felt integrated, and although I had to deal with screaming, unruly kids, I gave thanks to a gracious God who gives me a body and family to come home to.

No comments:

Post a Comment