Friday, March 5, 2010

Time is relative


How much time should we commit to a practice of yoga asana, or meditation? 20 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours? I believe the answer is whatever suits your lifestyle at the moment. When I had 2 small children, Eli was around 2, and Jonah was 4-6 months, I began to practice yoga vigorously. I practiced 1-2 hours a day, around 5 times a week. Now, that I have three kids, and a husband who travels, I am lucky to get one full hour in a week. I usually have to squeeze around 3 mini practices in a week, along with reading of scriptures and philosophy of yoga. I know that there will be a time again where I will be able to practice with more intensity. But for now, I have to be satisfied with what is reasonable for my life at this time. Today, around 4pm, I had the chance to practice. The kids went outside, it was a beautiful afternoon. My mat was beckoning me, as was my body. I also had a chance to play with my kids, Eli asking me to play one on one basketball, and Jonah playing football. The choice? I played with my kids. My spirit told me to go play with them., My time with them is fleeting. I will always have my yoga practice. As we played outside in the sunshine, I knew that I had made the right choice. I see them at times as grown men, and wonder if they will remember the times that I have spent with them. There is a light, burning bright, can you feel it? Can you see it? It is always there, it is in our hearts, guiding the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment