Sunday, May 16, 2010

Virginia Creeper Yoga


This weekend my family and I took a trip to Virginia to ride our bikes along the Virginia Creeper Trail. We loved the break. The kids were thrilled by our cramped hotel room, complete with a view of the golden arches on a 30 foot pole. It was sufficient though, and early on Saturday morn, we arose with fresh spirit and headed to the bike shop. With bikes in tow, we crammed into the van with 8 other passengers and headed up the mountain. It was a 17 mile ride down, with gorgeous views of a rushing fiver, magnificent rock faces, and beautiful fauna and wildflowers. We stopped along the way to skip stones, climb rocks, and dined on smushed PB&J sandwiches, in a gorgeous meadow with mountains surrounding us. We had to high tail it the last 5 miles (a slight incline) to make it on time for our shuttle. The kids did great, Sammy loved his trailer bumping along behind Daddy, sleeping from time to time. Believe it or not, I practiced yoga on my bike. As I was sailing down the path, I felt my back collapsing and elbows locking to keep me upright. I drew my shoulder blades down my back, drew my abdominals in, rolled my collar bones back, and lifted my head to catch a gaze at the blue sky above. I felt so alive and awake, and also so grateful to God for his beautiful creation. As I breathed in the surrounding splendor, I felt close to the divine, and held the moment in, and exhaled into the air, my gratitude and love for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment