Sunday, January 3, 2010

Letting Go

Today, my family traveled back from a wonderful trip to Atlanta over the New Year's Holiday. It was mostly a spontaneous trip, as we figured Matt (my husband) would not be able to be home in time to make the beloved countdown to New Years Day. Well, surprise, surprise, we made it, and at first I was really stressed out about this "shift" in what I expected to happen. Then, I began to realize that family and being together with my family is more important to me (and my husband) than spending my weekend of New Years doing all the things on my list. So I let it go. How good that feels but can be so very hard to do. I often have difficulty letting go of difficult emotions. There are times I may feel insecure about myself, and worry about how others view me. This is an awful feeling, that burns precious energy, and skews our perception of reality. Today, as I worked with that feeling, I looked into my heart, and looked into my spirit, and lo and behold, I had nothing to be ashamed of! It is funny how we can blow things out of proportion, and miss the boat entirely! Is this yoga? My vote is a soft "yes". How can we improve the shape of this world, if we are unloving towards ourselves? Yoga teaches self awareness, and seeing the divine not only in others, but in ourselves as well. I would be missing the boat, if in my insecurity, I grew impatient towards my child, or snapped at my husband, or hissed at drivers who drove to slow or to fast. The beauty of yoga is to allow ourselves to feel what we feel, and then let it go, so that we may view the world in a different light, a new light, with new eyes. Break our patterns of negative internal dialogue. Break our habits that are destructive. Break our ideas of who we think we are and how we think we ought to act. If we first seek our hearts advice, cast our eyes into our inner light, that is filled with a burning fire of love that is God's hand, we will act in the divine way. It sure ain't easy. I am definitely far from perfect, I occasionally snap at my husband, and get impatient towards my kids(I am sure there is much more to list all my shortcomings, but I'm trying to focus on the positive!). Am I trying to walk in the light? Yes, and hopefully you will too. Think of what our world would be if we all just loved ourselves a bit more. I'll end with a quote from Thich Nhat Hahn "breathing in I smile, exhale, I relax my body. breathing in to the present moment, exhaling I know this is a wonderful moment" Thanks for listening, whoever may be out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment