Saturday, January 16, 2010

warrior soul


As I was practicing yoga in the afternoon breeze, I was overcome with a sense of gratitude for all that I have in my life. Looking around my yard, Sammy was swinging playfully on our rope swing, demanding that I "watch me swing Mom!" I would, and then I would return to my yoga poses, and he would be fine, as long as he could see my buttocks in the air peeking over the deck railing (can you guess which pose I was in?). I have really been focusing on Warrior 2 or "Virabhadrasana II" and have been studying the effects and variations it has on my body. I can see why Mr. Iyengar chose this pose as a foundation pose for the remainder of standing poses, and all the other 200 plus poses there are. After repeatedly lifting my chest while drawing all my muscles in to my core, expanding my arms out to the sides, I felt strong, courageous, willing to receive and accept what might come my way. As I continued on in my practice, in and out of spending time with Samuel and the kids, I realized that spending time on my body, with yoga helps me be a better Mom. I can feel my body soften to their calls, I listen better, I am stronger all around so that I can play a quick game of basketball. Or chase their perfect little bodies all over my yard and pin them down (I call it taking them down to china town.) They LOVE it! I love it! I want to be 70 years old and still be able to get up and down off the floor. I want to be 80 years old and be willing to hear a different point of view and not get ruffled by it. I want to be 90 years old and walk with a straight back and open heart. I don't think I'll ever wear the polyester stretch pants, I am going yoga pants all the way, they are the BOMB!

No comments:

Post a Comment